Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Double Whammy

Alright so I've got 2 things to share this time...

The first thing is how kids think that once they start learning about something, they know everything there is to know about the subject. For example, I team with another girl who teaches the math, science, and social studies part of life while I teach the reading/language arts part of it, and right now in math they're learning how to tell time. So my afternoon group walks in the room, and they sit down and stare at the clock. Not all of them by any means, but those who really think they've got it down are giving that clock the once (or twice) over. One of them looks up at me and says, "Miss Glover, what time is it?" I glance up at the clock, and let them know it's 12:35. They look at me with shocked expressions and shout, "How did you know so fast?!?"

The second thing is the things that kids pick up on when it comes to appearances. I mean all first graders are gonna be shorter than me (unless they flunked a few times, or are like giant people)... I'm only 5' 6"! But today one of my taller girls looked at me and said, "Miss Glover! You're tall today!" I, of course, was wearing heels... I looked back at her and said, "Girl, I've gotta do something to stay ahead of you!" She thought that was absolutely ridiculous and said, "Oh, Miss Glover!" with a shake of her head... I just love what they notice!

No comments:

Post a Comment